Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Happy HalloWEEEEE!


We love Halloween around here! Dadguy loves it, I love it and so it's a no-brainer that the Crash girls (formerly known as "Chaos") would love it.

Reasons to Love Halloween

  • Candy
  • Stay up late
  • Dress-ups
  • Spooky stuff
  • Run around knocking on doors
  • Yelling "Trick or Treat!"
  • Getting treats
  • Yelling Happy Halloween!
  • Pumpkins
  • Carving Jack-o-Lanterns
  • Punkin Patches
I could go on and on, you get the picture. In our neighborhood there is a tradition of "Phantom" treats. It's like a meme with refined sugar. It starts with a knock on your door, and when you open the door there is nothing but a goody of some sort on your step. The treat is accompanied with a picture of a phantom or ghostie of one description or another and an instruction sheet that informs you that you are to post the pic on you front window or door, and then deliver a goody with pic and instructions to three other neighbors whose homes are phantomless.

This works great if you have a copier, fax machine or otherwise in your home. If you are low-tech or just plain slow-tech then you run the risk of getting nailed twice. Twice the yummies you say? Sure... only NOW you gotta get six other homes! This year makes twice in a row that we have gotten phantomed twice within a few hour span. Ai-yi-yi! So we slapped one of the phantoms up in our window and the next day hit the copy shop and dollar store.

Have you ever tried to be sneaky with a four year old, two year old and baby in a stroller? The proper term is "less effective." This year we thought we'd just give in to inevitability and just dress the kiddos up and have them ring the door and hand over the prize. LaLa had hold of the cheapy voice distorter with the skew set to "Alien," which serves to make her already high pitched voice even higher and slightly wavery. This was the sound track to our deliveries...

"Happy HalloWEEEEE! Happy HalloWEEEEE! Happy HalloWEEEEE! Happy HalloWEEEEE! Happy HalloWEEEEE! Happy HalloWEEEEE! Happy HalloWEEEEE! Happy HalloWEEEEE! Happy HalloWEEEEE! Happy HalloWEEEEE!"

I may have bled from my eyes a little.

It was a pretty fun time, but we won't be doing it that way again... I'm pretty sure that at least two of the neighbors didn't come to the door 'cause they thought we were early trick or treaters!

I think that night was the first night that we heard the phrase "Goody goody GOSH!." Which, when it comes out of LaLa's mouth sounds more like "Doody doody DOSH!" They did NOT get this one from me, so shut it!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like some serious fun around the Mama's house!

The Absent Minded Housewife said...

Is this why I've had a bag of circus peanuts thrown on my lawn?

Anonymous said...

I love the Phantom idea! I'm going to have to remember that one — I don't think I can get it together for this year, but we have a bunch of kids in the neighborhood now and I bet they'd be up for it.

sari said...

I know it's wrong, but this made me laugh:

"I may have bled from my eyes a little".

Mama D said...

That picture is AWESOME! Sounds like much fun. I think the A-ster is gonna love Halloween too. We'll see.