Sunday, August 22, 2010

Blog? BLARG!

So... I guess the only writing that's happening 'round here is to my parents. I am reposting this weeks letter to them.

Dear Elder and Sister Mymaidenname,

Conversations at the dinner table:

Lilac: Mama, why do the cans of chips always have that face on them?

Bon: Well, do you remember when we talked this morning about the picture of the kangaroo on the can of hairspray, how people will know quickly by the picture, what brand the hairspray is, and how the companies who make them want you to to buy their brand so they make more money? It's called a "Logo," and that face there is the Pringles logo.

Dadguy: Yeah, also it used to be that not everybody could read, so they put logos and sometimes they put pictures of things on the cans so you know what you are getting (points to a bottle of ketchup on the table). What's that on that bottle?

Lilac: A TOMATO! So you know that it's tomatos in the ketchup!

Dadguy: And see how there is also a picture of chips on the front of the can of chips?

Lilac: Yeah! And what picture does the mayonnaise have on it?

Pearl: A bow? Why does it have a bow on it?

Dadguy: (disgusted look on his face) That's 'cause you don't WANT to know what's in mayonnaise.

***********************************************************************

Tuesday is the start of school for Birdie and Lilac... it will be Lilac's first time going alllll day long.
First grade. Wooo.

I tell ya who's looking forward to school starting... it's PEARL! She's gonna be the big sister every day. She's
gonna be the one picking out the movies to watch, the books for Mama to read, the one to get the hotly contended rose plate. And during Henrys naps... it's going to be just Pearl and Mama. I am pretty sure that the best part of that list for the kiddo is the rose plate.

This past week Robbie (my big sis) went to
Education Week at BYU, and we kept Ethan (nephew) overnight, not only to facilitate watching him for two days in a row, but because the girls were really wanting to have him over for a sleepover. Had some pretty dang funny conversations and a lot of fun with him over... but the highlight for me is that I finally got a recipe for chocolate zucchini cake that pleases me. Everyone realy loved it, and that's pretty darned impressive when you consider that the sucker is 100% whole wheat and packed with zucchini! I covered it with a cream cheese frosting and some big candy sprinkles, and it got sucked down by all. That's a mighty good thing, cuz boy. Do we EVER have zucchini coming out our ears. I am guessing someone at the store where we bought our starter plants swapped out the little cards poked in the dirt of a flat of summer squash, cuz I have about four more 'cchini plants that I had meant... and not one solitary yellow squash.... dagger sized all the way up to big ol' two handed broadsword size. Seriously... I have a couple of green baseball bats up there on my kitchen counter. I threaten my children with them, that and now finally the cake is just about the only joy I get out of 'em.

I have put zucchini in just about everything... did you know it is virtually undetectable in
spaghetti sauce, salad dressing and salsa? Just never, ever try to slide it by in a smoothy. Ain't gonna happen. Ever. Unless... maybe if I cook it down first. Now THERE'S and idea I haven't tried yet!

Thinking about peeling it, boiling it and running it thru the blender in order to sneak it into mashed potatoes. Shhhhhh... don't tell anyone. Hmmm... I have a buddy who hides
sweet potatoes in her Kraft Mac 'n Cheese... whddaya think about a little bit o' Zucch in there?

No?

Oh well.

I sure do love you guys... think about ya, and pray for ya too. This morning the girls drew some pictures for you... and since we cannot find our scanner cable, I will be shipping 'em out via snails. In case you can't figure it out when you get the cards and pictures, Pearl drew a picture of our family... if we were a family of
evil cats. I get the distinction of being the Evilest. Cat. Everrrrr.

If you were wondering.

Hasta la pasta
-the Mama

3 comments:

Jen said...

Haha! I always knew there was something sneaky-cat-like about you. Too funny.

Bob said...

I like mayonnaise, but Dadguy's probably right, I don't want to think about whats in it.

pretty darn prosaic said...

You are going to be the only one who likes this, but it is oh, so good. Buy some disposable veggie grill tin foil thingies ( for sale by the disposable cake pans etc.) then slice the zuccs up lengthwise. Set them on the grill, brush with olive oil, sprinkle with garlic powder, cook for 3 or 4 minutes per side. After they are pretty well grilled, sprinkle parmesan on them and keep on the heat for a minute or two till it melts. Yeah baby.