Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Odd

They say that memory is strongly linked to the olfactory unit. The sniffer, the snooter... your nose.

I'd buy that.

I am the queen of disorganization, and this year has been the worst; nothing like a big old medical thang to knock a girl off her stride. Combine that with the all-new-to-me jumping of hurdles and hoops of getting my eldest signed up for public school, and you have about nine trips to the elementary school in the past few months. I have walked those halls without a single twinge of nostalgia or weirdness.

I thought to myself, "La! There will be no problem with the letting of the Birdie to go offa to the schools!"

This morning school started for all of the district, except for the KindyG's, they started assessment testing. Birdie had her assessment test with her darlingdarlingDARLING KindyG teacher this morning at nine. Walked into the school... functioning and filled to the classroom gills with kids; the SMELL.

The smell. Gaghk! There was something about the smell of that building during an actual school day, that took me back and stopped me dead in my tracks. School. Really and for truly... going to school.

She starts next Tuesday, then LaLa starts pre-school the Tuesday after that.


Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

11 comments:

shoeaddict said...

Awwww... I will pray for you and Birdie and LaLa. But, as for smells- they get me big time. I actually have probably brought this on myself though. From a very early age, I identified with smells that comforted me. My mom's smell, for example. I'd get her to spray her perfume on something so I could smell it during school.
She stll does that for me even though I'm 26 and married. When I've been in the hospital or she goes away on long trips.

Also, there are certain smells that trigger strong reactions from good/bad times in my life.

Good Luck to Miss Birdie!!

The Absent Minded Housewife said...

I called my sister, who lives in Happy Valley, and asked how she liked having two of her own three kids out of the house all day.

I think she fainted on the phone. She's thrilled. They wear her out.

DadGuy said...

It's okay, I'll offer you my shoulder to cry on.

Anonymous said...

I had the same reaction. Fine without the kids, overwhelmed with schooly memories when it was full. Something about the smell of freshly sharpened pencils, twenty different shampoos, and copier paper mixed into an overwhelming scent. I was bowled over.

Fantastagirl said...

Took Pan in for Meet the Teacher night - the school is HOT, unbearably so - They do not have air conditioning in the building...it should, but it doesn't.

Jessica G. said...

KindyG...I love it!

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

...and that's exactly how I picked the daycare that the kiddos went to before they went to KindyG - it smelled the way I thought a school was supposed to smell.

It's a good thing.

Right?

Mama D said...

Yep. That sense of smell will get a person EVERY TIME.

I bet Birdie is going to adore school. And LaLa too.

Anonymous said...

Was it like the smell of new school supplies? I love that smell!

sari said...

I was sitting outside the cafeteria at my boys' school yesterday talking to a friend of mine who's been in Germany for the last two months and we were laughing because I've been sick for a week and can't smell. My sense of smell is just starting to come back and I was sitting there saying "Gosh, I know I'm still sick because the lunches smell *good*!"

I like the smell of freshly sharpened pencils.

I hope birdie likes school, my five is in Kind. this year and loves it (though - it's only half day).

Anonymous said...

Poor Pearl!!!
I CANNOT belive that Birdie is staring school!!!! She will love it!! I know the first day of school I will be bawling like a baby---Good Luck!!